HealthSherpa strongly believes in creating inclusive, equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which might be essential to our tradition and work. We’re excited to function our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the way in which as much as their tenure and progress. On this submit, hear from Vice President of Product Administration Patricia Pichardo, who opens up about why she mentioned sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day seems to be like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to numerous change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged rather a lot by recruiters and there have been fascinating jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor immediately earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven setting, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So after I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually awoke one thing inside me. With mates and different volunteers, we had been in a position to take action a lot – we helped individuals get out of the Island, helped feed kids who had been going with out meals, helped individuals get entry to fundamental wants.
After this expertise, I began occupied with different points that weren’t essentially immediately impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this function at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I obtained sick, and I didn’t have ample insurance coverage? That may be a actual challenge, an actual drawback. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to range, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this function.
There have been a number of issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the following individual, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and all the individuals on the interview workforce had been very candid with me about what the actual issues had been, the actual wants had been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa seemed like.
- The belief. The workforce trusted one another in a really implicit means. Later within the course of, I obtained to fulfill a few of my teammates, friends and direct stories. The conversations felt natural and real with the workforce as properly. It didn’t really feel just like the workforce was being avoided the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned numerous belief within the workforce, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually snug about one another’s positions. After I spoke to George (Chief Govt Officer), he mentioned that he didn’t have to assess whether or not I’d be an excellent product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply wished to determine whether or not I’d be an excellent match for the corporate on the whole, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this function.
I get up within the morning and work out a minimum of 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, organising my conferences, and guaranteeing that I’m arrange for fulfillment for the remainder of the day. I normally have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an amazing combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the fitting questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the fitting selections. Often my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this could really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day by myself, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to study – I go away the day nearly on daily basis feeling energized and like I’m studying. I go away the times very glad.
I’ve realized that there are issues that we take with no consideration, that aren’t as easy as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no one goes via life without having it, with out collaborating on this system in a roundabout way. There’s a lot to study as a client – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing fundamental, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick in some unspecified time in the future, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the area is actually essential. There are issues that you just would possibly assume are easy and you discover out that they’re really very sophisticated. I’ve been approaching numerous this with humility, and counting on the people who I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% need to depend on my teammates to arrange me and maintain me up after I make errors.
I’d say two issues:
- When you’re occupied with working right here, don’t assume twice. It is best to positively discover alternatives with us, and apply once you see one thing that might be an excellent match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so positive about HealthSherpa, for no matter motive – think about the place you might be and the impression you’re making the place you might be, after which think about the potential impression you would make engaged on one thing that can assist resolve such an enormous drawback. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you get pleasure from, and realizing the way it will profit individuals in an enormous means.
Need to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal workforce? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!