Deciding on a summer time break to the Antalya coast in Turkey, raised one huge query for 2 households travelling collectively – Kas or Kalkan? Let their expertise information you to decide on one of the best vacation spot out of the 2 for you!
Set within the the province of Antalya, beautiful surroundings is assured. This space is often known as the turquoise coast (and the seas right here actually are a shocking shade of blue), in addition to the Turkish Riviera.
Kalcan itself is surrounded by the arid Taurus mountains, and is one huge very steep hill from prime to backside! However don’t let this put you off in the event you really feel mountaineering up and down hills isn’t your jam, as a result of right here nobody does that anyway. It’s so steep that everybody hops in a taxi to get from prime to backside, or drives their very own automotive or if you’re courageous sufficient a moped!
The steep incline signifies that the views are simply unbelievable. Whether or not trying away from the coast in any respect the beautiful homes and villas that appear to trickle down in the direction of the ocean, or from greater up throughout the sheltered bay and the twinkling Mediterranean Sea.
The place to go and what to see in Kalkan
- Terrace eating places and bars – these have been a agency favorite with our group, not solely due to the beautiful views throughout the city and your entire bay, but additionally as a result of nothing feels higher than a heat night breeze whereas eating alfresco!
- Seaside golf equipment – a family-friendly strategy to spend the day within the shade of a cabana proper subsequent to the ocean. Most have easy accessibility to the ocean both by being on the seashore, or by having platforms that result in the ocean in addition to having a pool.
- The weekly native market – a bustling area promoting spices, recent fruit and veg, and all the real fakes you might dream of! You may as well bag your self some freshly made turkish treats to maintain your power up as you go spherical. Solely on a Thursday.
- Arts & crafts boutiques – there’s a lot native expertise hidden among the many many winding streets in Kalkan. Search for handmade and artisan items – pottery, glass, and macrame.
- Petara historic web site – only a brief drive from the city is Petara, the traditional capital of Lycia – a wonderful place to be because the solar units, with a wealth of tumbled down ruins and semi restored areas and amphitheatres full with very pleasant goats!
Is Kalkan good for a household vacation?
A convincing sure from us all! We have been lucky sufficient to have a villa with a pool – so loads of area to sit back and hold cool till the temperatures dipped sufficient to enterprise out. The ocean was secure and delicate for the little ones, and the Seaside Membership we spent a day at had a wealth of water toys (sea tractor and trampoline!) to maintain the children occupied for hours.
All of the eating places and bars have been tremendous kid-friendly too – and whereas we didn’t keep out late it definitely appeared secure sufficient whereas we have been there. For older youngsters and adventurous adults there have been a spread of outside adventures to select from equivalent to mountain biking, parasailing, jet snowboarding, and boat rent.
Kas – a greater vacation spot than Kalkan?
It looks like everybody talks about Kas greater than Kalkan – and on a day journey there we might form of see why. For a begin the environment is extra mild, much less touristy, and has areas with extra of an genuine native really feel. The inclines are additionally much less intimidating and it isn’t an excessive amount of bother to wander from the automotive park by the harbour proper as much as the best road within the city.
As soon as once more, the setting is completely lovely because it sits alongside the identical a part of the turquoise coast, and it has a wealth of great boutiques to discover and a greater than its justifiable share of terrace eating places to get pleasure from spectacular views throughout the harbour! All in all it appeared extra grown up, much less glitzy and fewer like a spot solely vacationers frequent!
Is Kas a superb vacation spot for a household vacation?
I assume all of it relies on the vibe you might be searching for! It’s a extra mild, extra Turkish model of Kalkan and I might say extra relaxed too. Would the children assume it’s higher? Chances are high the intense lights and extra accessible seashore golf equipment of Kalkan would get their vote!
- Flights: Jet2 to Dalaman
- Villa: Villa Palmi kalkanvilla.org
- Transfers: Taxi – 1h 50m from Dalaman to Kalkan
- Journey date: August 2023
- Climate: HOT HOT HOT (upwards of 35 °C) humid and sunny!
Worldwide journey insurance coverage to Turkey
Get your worldwide journey insurance coverage earlier than you head off in your subsequent journey – annual cowl at nice charges for households that love journey. Get a web-based quote or name us on 0189283338
Journey Author Bio:
Kerry McCarthy is a Author, Editor, Artist & Breathwork Teacher who likes to journey with household, buddies and in addition solo. You could find out extra about her adventures over on instagram at @kerrymccarthystars